St. Peter Lutheran Church was established February 11, 1849, by Rev. Frederick Wyneken, who is described as a "mission-minded pastor from Fort Wayne." He found a number of German immigrants in Huntington, and gathered a small group of people to form the congregation. Eventually 14 families were considered charter members.
The first church was a 24 x 36 building built in 1850. The original building was used for services on Sunday and as a school during the week. The building is still standing at 626 Polk Street and is currently a modernized home.
The cornerstone of the present building was set in 1870 and was dedicated in 1885. Additions were added in 1870 and 1914, with the current school building being added in 1963.
Our congregation is a member of the
Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. Our
congregation proclaims Jesus Christ as the true God and the Savior of the world
and the Holy Scriptures as the inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God.
We believe, teach and confess the Christian faith according to the Lutheran
Confessions. If you are interested in joining our church, please speak
with the Pastor or one of our members.
Our community will see our acts of service and our witness of Christ in our lives. They will know us for our faith in action the Christian leadership we provide, and the Christian example we are for others. We will invite many to be our guests. They will feel welcome and comfortable among us. We will follow-up on our guests. They will receive guidance from the Word, lives will be transformed and many will want to join our fellowship. Our members will be driven by their faith and guided by the Holy Spirit to be faithful Disciples of Christ. We will be active and involved in the work of the church. We will care for each other and pray for each other. We will communicate in the harmony. We will be the Body of Christ!
Our Mission Statement
Building relationships in Christ today and for the eternity.